UNISON has called on the eight district and county councils across North Yorkshire to work together and draw up an agreement on how to fill vacancies between now and April 2023 when the councils will be amalgamated into one new council.
Our regional organiser has written to the eight Chief Executives at Craven District, Hambleton District, Harrogate Borough, North Yorkshire County, Ryedale District, Scarborough Borough and Selby District councils, to ask that vacancies are filled using internal applications from across all the councils rather than making external appointments.
UNISON is concerned that some councils are continuing to advertise and recruit to roles that could be duplicated when the new council comes into being from April 2023, and this could create an unnecessary redundancy risk for existing staff.
Such an approach would not only help to safeguard the jobs of existing staff, but would also:
- reduce costs, as savings would be made in the recruitment and induction process;
- reward staff for their continuing loyalty and reassure them that they continue to be a valuable asset and one that the new council wishes to retain;
- demonstrate to staff that there is a genuine desire across the councils to work together to ease the transition and to look after the current staff cohort who have worked throughout the pandemic to deliver excellent services to the residents of North Yorkshire;
- provide opportunities for training, career progression and development; and
- minimise disruption to residents and staff,
whilst ensuring that service levels and quality are maintained.